Archival Tape Edition No. 7
Ella & Louis (USA Edition)
As you know, our ARCHIVAL TAPE Editions are meant to give you the chance to listen to some well selected gems of analog sound recording. Without dedicated remastering and retouch. And with Ella & Louis we are proudly introducing our first release in MONO! True, pure and with a lot of dynamic. This record is a more than astonishing and fascinating example of delivering audible depth and width with just one audio channel. Celebrating 2 voices of no other kind. Supported by some of the best musicians of all time. You think you exactly know how the voice of Louis Amstrong does sound? Just listen to the first song on this MASTERCUT. Zooming you right into the recording studio at Capital Records, that hot summer day in August 1956. Enjoy this time capsule of a record on your stereo (or Hi-Fi as they would have said back then.) We are pretty sure this disc and yourself will be very best friends right from the start!!
- Vocals: Ella Fitzgerald
- Vocals, trumpet: Louis Armstrong
- Piano: Oscar Peterson
- Guitar: Herb Ellis
- Bass: Ray Brown
- Drums: Buddy Rich
- Can't We Be Friends?
- Isn't This A Lovely Day?
- Moonlight In Vermont
- They Can't Take That Away from Me
- Under A Blanket Of Blue
- A Foggy Day
- Stars Fell On Alabama
- Cheek To Cheek
- The Nearness Of You
- April In Paris
- Date of Recording: August 16, 1956
- Location: Capitol Studios, Hollywood
- Original Tape Number: 4579, 4580
- Recording Producer: Norman Granz
- Session Engineer: Val Valentin
- A Minolta EP 410Z copy of the master reel control file side A
- A Cyanotype of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong after an original photo Courtesy of the Louis Armstrong House Museum
- A Polaroid of a microscopic view of the real groove.
- A Minolta EP 410Z copy after an original photo of the Supersense livingroom studio. Photographer: Ákos Burg, 2021.
- "How to caress", by Florian Doc Kaps. An info sheet about the Supersense master records and how to care for them.
- "Project Mastercut", by Florian Doc Kaps. An introduction to the editions. Including some Cutting Engineer notes, Supersense, Vienna 2022
Producing each and every MASTERCUT edition by hand, piece by piece in our small manufactory is not only very time consuming but also has quite a few challenges and limitations. On the other hand, it also allows us to introduce a very special service to you as of today. From now on we can offer you the option to personalize your new MASTERCUT Edition when pre-ordering it in our online shop.
Please select the product variant PERSONALIZED and thereafter fill in up to 33 characters (including spaces) into the field "YOUR WORDS HERE".
When processing your order, we will produce your personal Linotype line from your words and hot foil it onto the cover of your edition during the production process.